Jun 26, 2011

mike wallace.

have i told you this story?

about the 16-year-old braces-clad, prom-dress-wearing, version of myself that sat next to an elderly man at a pricey new york restaurant  and asked him if he worked for CBS? (it was a CBS pre-Tony award event) he responded with a slight hint of offense in his tone: "i'm mike wallace." OOPS. good thing he was besties with GBH - (Gordon B. Hinckley) - it gave us a lot to talk about.

take two...
today, i ran up to the second floor to teach my sunday school lesson. (which by the way, is the greatest calling ever. i kind of love it. and my front row supporters. i digress...) i know the regulars mostly by name, and noticed some obvious visitors. we get TONS of those in the summer. so i decided to make them feel welcome.

"where are you from? (vegas)
what are you doing here? (......work.....)
welcome to london!"

they seemed, maybe a little less clean cut and i wanted to be sure they felt welcome. so i walked over to my "vegas friends" as i casually referred to them when i asked them to answer a question. read a quote. and participate in general.

turns out my new "vegas friends" are kind of awesome. i didn't recognize them, but everyone hipper than me did. they even showed me on their super hip ipads after.  (hello SAM'S TOWN?)  maybe you've heard of brandon flowers? just because he's all over my ipod doesn't mean i knew what he LOOKED like, or expected him to be 8 rows in front of me. 


the killers had a show in hyde park, and the lead singer decided to stop by before rocking out.
ugh. 
blew that one. 
maybe he found it refreshing?

16 comments:

tyler and minde said...

what?!? seriously, i'm embarrassed for you
- tyler

Alissa said...

great story. one for the books.

kristin said...

Before getting to who the star was I thought you were going to say it was a member of the Neon Trees. Don't worry, I wouldn't have known him either.

Snowmomutah said...

Was he wearing the feather jacket at church, cause if so then you really have no excuse. JK! This made my day, thanks for sharing. PS- I'm Tara's sister and she sent me this link cause I'm obsessed with Brandon Flowers. So happy that he made it to Sunday school, even if I didn't.

siovhan said...

This is AWESOME!
I have my own awkward Brandon Flowers story, no joke. Was he wearing his eyeliner?

Also, because I'm perpetually reading from google reader, this is the first time I'm getting to see your new layout and I LOVE IT!

angelique said...

wait, that guy from The Killers is LDS? get out...

Sara Jane said...

Love him...
Love you...
xo

LaurenHoya said...

What an awesome story! I have long believed that if more Mormon men were like BFlow (eyeliner included), then I would've been married a long time ago. Swoon!

Tim and Sara said...

Hahaha, there's no way I would've recognized him either. Best Sunday School story ever!

Sue said...

Noelle,
You never cease to amuse me!

Alison said...

hahahaha! I would have NEVER known it was him. I probably just would have thought, "he's kind of a babe." haha! And I have seen pictures and videos.

But I don't know about you, I don't get starstruck because I kind of feel like I should be famous anyway. I feel like you might be in the boat?

But that doesn't apply to Bobby Flay. If I saw Bobby Flay I would hyperventilate like a 14 year old at an NSYNC concert.

Ashley said...

This cracks me up. But just think how hard it would have been to run a regular Sunday School class if you knew who he was the whole time.

Toni S. Cook said...

This is the best story. He is fascinating. And I'm sure it was refreshing for him!

nerak said...

i'm going to be on the lookout for mormon celebrities at church now!

Kristen said...

That is amazing and not a big deal that you didn't recognize them. That said, I really do LOVE the killers!

Alissa said...

You've probably seen this, but it made me think of the story.

http://youtu.be/4PF0h7oqUEQ