Oct 30, 2009

web envy

.
my husband doesn't like blogs.
well most blogs.

he thinks that rather than serving a purpose or providing encouraging information it becomes a
"HEY HEY LOOK AT ME"
forum of beautiful photos, happy-endings and unrealistic portrayals of life.

most of all - he dislikes them for the psychological effect they can have on the reader...

why aren't i organized enough to raise 2 children and have time to curl my hair every morning?
why can't our dog sit, speak and read the Wall Street Journal- like So And Sos?
why didn't my pie bake to golden perfection while i multi-tasked watching Oprah, painting my toenails, cleaning the bathroom and finishing a novel?

and so on and so forth ...

and today - i agree with him.

every day after work i paint, i sand, i hang, i search - trying to transform our living room on a budget. and while there has been progress, i'm frustrated it's not complete- or completely perfect.

and then, amidst my decorating despair - there's jenny.
except her decorating perfection is entirely realistic - and she's not screaming "hey hey look at me" she just tries to inspire the DIY-er.
her endless talents are no fault of her own, and she is technically a professional ...

but her before and afters make me want to throw in the towel...
the scissors.
the fabric.
the curtains.
and kick the paint can.

how does she do it?
click here to see the stunning transformation.

10 comments:

Tiffany said...

agreed 100% about blogs! i hate how fake and unrealistic people are... how photoshopped they are... it drives me insane. i just did a post with a picture of my daughter standing alone (she's 1 and just started walking)... in the background- a garbage can and banana peel on the floor... how's that for real life? funny thing is, i didn't even realize it til after i took the picture... such a normal occurrence in my house! anyway. i'm glad there are other people out there that see the "keeping up with the jones's" on the blog world. sad thing is, it's in real life too... especially among mormons... especially among moms in utah. i lived there for a few months and it made me sick how bad it is there. anyway. thanks for this post!

Laura said...

Funny thing about blogs. All my friends have blogs that are just for family history purposes. I started my blog purely so I can have it printed into books for my kids - because I HATE scrapbooking. And I am not ashamed to admit it.
And I am not a fan of her clock. I think it is kind of ugly.

Anonymous said...

I just have to say that YOU are my Jenny. Your post was so right-on b/c I was just looking at your gorgeous bedroom redo and thinking how drab and un-inspired my own bedroom looks! You are doing a fabulous job inspiring many a blogger.

March Madness said...

So right there with Matt! It took me forever to decide to do a blog bc I didn't want it becoming like all the "look! we flew first class to such and such place, and I went shopping and bought this and that?" My mom particularly thinks that posting menus of what someone made for dinner is borderline psychotic and needs to get a normal life. Cheers to being real!

Alissa said...

Blogging is bad for the soul...unless you've got a super self-confident soul. I go through anti-blogging phases, but something about it sucks me back in.

Your room looks fabulous, by the way. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Alissa said...

Also, I am trying to combat the whole blogging is bad for the soul thing by occasionally putting up really awful pictures of myself. Keeping it real. There were some from Italy that were pretty bad (although photobucket has given me problems lately, so they're not all working.

Wendle said...

Oh the little green notebook...I've often spent time there myself. Don't be discouraged my dear. You're wonderful and your DIYs are looking awesome. Plus, you're real. Real = better.

jenna said...

hey noelle. thinking of making a headboard and thought of you. know of a good tutorial?
jenna
jmrammell@gmail.com

Stephanie said...

How about the psychological effect of TV? I watched so many reruns of Project Runway last week (while I was in bed with the swine flu) that I started to sew (and thought I'd be good at it).

andre'a said...

Hi Noelle,

I just found your blog and I think you're hilarious! I was actually in Jennica's ward in Cambridge, MA and she's nice and her hubby was going to Harvard Law School. She shared in a Sunday school lesson that she doesn't get dressed until about 2 pm most days and she's on the computer a LOT. (I didn't know about her blog then). So, it makes sense. It's become sort of a full-time job to her, with kids. There are trade-offs with that and hopefully she's found a balance. But you can't think that her kids don't vie for her attention!