Oct 12, 2009

Italian American Day

Columbus Day.

Finding myself in a land where my heritage is pronounced “eye-talian” and Olive Garden is considered authentic,
I long for New York today.

For over the top parties at Villa Barone with DJs who play “Solo L’Italiano” remixes, where the entire congregation stands to sing the Italian National Anthem before dinner begins and patrons sit at tables with people from their own town … towns on hillsides in Calabria and Sicily. Towns they left decades ago, but still talk about like it is their neighborhood.

For Ernesto’s filled with all the non-uncle uncles - Vinny, Sal or Pete.

For almond crusted cannolis handmade by Agostino’s moglie.

For a day off of work to celebrate one of the most influential civilizations in history. (no exaggeration)

It would come as no surprise to me if people in these Western states thought Christopher Columbus was Spanish (gasp!). While he sailed for Isabella, his explorer prowess and success in finding these American continents is due wholly to one thing- his Genovese upbringing.
(you were mistakenly thinking divine inspiration perhaps?)

And while to me, that’s practically German – it is part of the unified Italy and I will not deny him his heritage. (Even if unified Italy did not exist at that point)

2 comments:

Rachel Ricchio said...

love the beginning of your post. so hilarious and sadly so true.

Christina and Ryan said...

I'm not even Italian and I cringe when I hear it pronounced "eye-talian". It just doesn't make any sense. Is it pronounced "eye-taly"?
I'll eat a cannoli for you today.